Friday, August 12, 2011

One Life - Another - and Another

Welcome to my life as it is now. LIVES. I should say welcome to my lives, for I've lived more than several. No, I'm not a believer in reincarnation, but I have had so many experiences - in groups, in phases - that sometimes I think I've had more lives than anyone. I look back and think of the expansion of 64 years: 1947 to 2011. Put a time line to it in history and you'll see that having gone through it - in Chicago and San Francisco, in various travels, through 4 colleges and universities, through dozens (sad to say) of different jobs, in different physical phases - reveals an incredible series of variations on the theme of life. 


Selling off everything (or trying to) gives you a different perspective on life. Some people say that "LIFE" is just a collection of "STUFF" but I disagree. Sure, what I'm selling from my life has meaning only to me and the people who have seen/used/admired things I've used along my way in life. 


So the things that I'm selling - some good, some not so good, some, well... may be an extension of me, but they all deserve a chance to become an extension of someone else. They're still useful, practical, beautiful. They're still full of their own life. Oh, some of the seemingly insignificant items might not last long (don't worry, I'm not selling anything that will fall apart the next day), but even they deserve to be useful for as long as they can. 


So don't look upon me as selling things that mean so much to me that I would normally not part with them. It merely means that I can no longer use them for what they were created for and I want to give them a chance to be useful to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment