Friday, August 12, 2011

Section 8 and the Big Bad Caregiver

I've come to the realization that caregivers are cursed: they have an urge to do something for others, but it won't get them jack shit in this life (maybe the next, but when that comes, well, BFD). Take for example, the brouhaha I'm currently undergoing with Section 8:


Short Version:


Couple gets married - registers for Domestic Partnership - loses house - takes advantage of a Section 8 voucher - signs up healthier one as "live-in aide" to get better place to live - one partner has series of life-threatening illnesses so the other signs up as his IHSS caregiver - partner dies - the survivor finds out caregivers have no rights to Section 8 vouchers. 


Long Version:


Probably be coming out in DVD starring Tom Hanks and Geraldo Rivera (well, I USED to look like him - a bit). 


The supporting cast in this saga is: 


San Francisco city Supervisor Sean Elsbrend
Park Merced Manager Bert Polacci
AIDS Housing Alliance
AIDS Legal Referral Panel
AIDS Emergency Fund
Housing Rights Committee
Catholic Charities
SFHA Section 8 Supervisor Henry Alvarez
Dr. Virginia Cafaro


So far ...


UPDATE: Sean Elsbrend has now related to me that "IF" SFHA were to even consider transferring Michael's voucher to me, they might want to charge me for BACK RENT due to the fact that: 1. as a caregiver, I did not combine our incomes, thereby paying less rent and 2. as a "live-in aide" requiring a separate bedroom, Michael and I were living in a larger apartment than warranted. What the difference in rent would be I can only guess: 9 years of rents times say $200-300 per month comes out to - hell, A LOT!


Bite Me!


The saga will continue ... to screw up my weekends waiting for answers. Meanwhile I have to get rid of EVERYTHING since a room with a shared bath in the Tenderloin is a bit small. And I have to plan the estate sale - and, of course, THE PAINTING PARTY!!


Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment